bunion treatment options
There are several treatment options available for bunions. The treatment recommended will depend on the severity of the bunion, as well as the individual's symptoms and lifestyle.
- Conservative treatment options include:
- Wearing comfortable, wide-toed shoes
- Using bunion pads or toe spacers
- Using ice to reduce pain and inflammation
- Taking over-the-counter pain medication
- Stretching and exercises to strengthen the muscles in the foot
Orthotics, such as shoe inserts, can help redistribute pressure and realign the bones of the foot.
Surgery is usually considered a last resort, but may be necessary in severe cases where other treatments have been ineffective. Surgery can involve removing the bony bump, realigning the bones of the foot, and sometimes fusing bones together.
It's important to consult with a doctor or a podiatrist to determine the best course of treatment for your specific case. They will also advise on the best options to prevent the bunion from getting worse